SUMMER 2013 : VOLUME ONE
Less clothing. Less makeup. Less stress. More sunscreen. More slippers (or flip flops). More fun. Bronze (self tanned) skin, golden highlights, predictable bursts of turquoise and new swimsuits. Okay, so that last one isn’t so fun after 2 kids – but it does mean its time for SUMMER!!!
For the SUMMER FORECAST 2013 – I asked a few of my favorite beauty brands and websites to pick (3) three of their hottest products for Summer. Check out their selections of turbo-boosted sunscreens, multi-taskers (thank you!), bold lip colors and glow inducing skin care.
A must have for everyone? Neutrogena Beach Defense Water + Sun Barrier Lotion SPF 70 → ($10,49, drugstores). Remember to apply adequate amounts to skin 15 minutes prior to exposure and REAPPLY as directed. This is what I’ll be using on our family this year.
Be sure to take a look at the top 3 COSMETIC MONSTER recommended products for Summer 2013 – there were so many to choose from! Stay safe, stay protected and have fun!!
❤ – Monster Summer Must-Have
Shop an incredible collection of Asian cosmetics including The Face Shop, Etude House (a personal favorite), Skin Food and more. Use code: COSMONSTER294 and save $10 off your next order!!
1. ETUDE HOUSE I NEED YOU POMEGRANATE MASK SHEET ($1.99) & ETUDE HOUSE PEARL EXTRACT MASK SHEET ($2.99). These amazing sheet masks soak your skin with face serum – virtually erasing any signs of fatigue, dehydration and dullness. TIP: Use in-flight to avoid jet lagged skin!
2. ❤ THE FACE SHOP NATURAL SUN AQ POWER LONG LASTING SUN CREAM SPF 45 PA+++ ($21.99). This comforting sun cream utilizes anti-oxidants, a high PA rating (protects against UVA rays) and an SPF 45 to protect skin against sunlight, water, sweat and sebum. The water-resistant, translucent finish works well under makeup – but is powerful enough to be used at the pool. I’ll be keeping this gem in my handbag (and beach bag) year round! It also didn’t irritate my sensitive skin.
3. SKIN79 DIAMOND COLLECTION UV SCREEN BEBLESH PACT SPF22/PA++ ($20.99). During the humid Summer months, the last thing you want on your face is heavy makeup. Use this incredible Beblesh (or BB) compact powder over your sunscreen to add another layer of sun protection while controlling oil (without looking dry) and perfecting skin tone. Keeps skin looking fresh all day! Available in one universal shade (not for dark/tan skin tones). TIP: Before reapplying during the day, use a oil absorbing paper to remove excess oil and perspiration. Be sure to press into skin – don’t rub!
Youngblood mineral foundation was one of the first I tried in the mid-90’s (when Bare Escentuals was just starting out). I’m so glad I had the opportunity to revisit their signature product – and it is definitely a top pick for the Summer (and year round).
1. NEW YOUNGBLOOD LIPSTICK IN DRAGON FRUIT ($19). An actual Dragon Fruit is surprising and beautiful – as is this newly launched (June 2013) lip color. The rich, glossy finish gives this powerful shocking watermelon shade a fresh update (bye bye matte!).
2. ❤ NEW YOUNG BLOOD MIGHTY SHINY LIP GEL IN FLAUNT ($25.50). This pretty, bright shimmery bubble gum gloss is the perfect way to wear a pop of color – and still look natural. Bright in the tube, this petroleum and mineral oil free (yes!) gloss boosts lip color, is remarkably moisturizing and lasts all day. My lip pick for the office…and pool side!
3. YOUNGBLOOD NATURAL MINERAL FOUNDATION ($42). I’m not sure how this mineral foundation has bismuth oxychloride and doesn’t irritate my skin or look shiny! Magic? From the moment I swirled it onto my skin – I was amazed how smooth and perfected my face looked. Only a tiny amount is needed to cover the entire face and you can use a sponge for heavier coverage or a brush (my choice) for just a touch of perfection. TIP: Be sure face is DRY and allow moisturizer/primer to completely absorb prior to application.
(L-R): Swatches – Flaunt, Dragon Fruit, On Lips – Flaunt, On Lips – Dragon Fruit, Natural Mineral Foundation Before & After.
Omorovicza luxury skin care products offer the ultimate spa experience in the comfort of your own home. Each formulation is remarkably thoughtful, effective and a sensory pleasure.
1. OMOROVICZA COMPLEXION CORRECTOR SPF 20 ($155, omorovicza.com). This luxury CC Cream generates youthfully glowing skin and protects it with a silicone-free formula without any chemical sunscreens. Dare to go bare by applying this to clean skin or after your moisturizer. TIPS: Use a tiny dab to highlight brow bones (not too close to the eyes). Add a bronze touch of color with Omorovicza Complexion Enhancer SPF 15 to forehead and cheeks for a Summer glow.
2. OMOROVICZA DEEP CLEANSING MASK ($12o, omorovicza.com). Summer skin feels uncomfortably oily and dehydrated all at the same time. This mineral rich facial mask simultaneously deep cleanses, soothes and brightens – leaving confused skin right as rain. TIP: Apply a layer of Omorovicza Radiance Renewal Serum before applying a thin layer of Deep Cleansing Mask for an extra boost.
3.❤ OMOROVICZA PERFECTING LIP BALM ($45, omorvicza.com). A little dab of this super hydrating lip balm leaves your pout plumper, pinker and more plush! Leaves a perfectly primed canvas for the Summer’s hot (and bright) lip colors. TIP: Tap a tiny bit on the tops of cheekbones for a lovely gleam or mix with the season’s bright lip colors to sheer them out.
Tanned (sun-free of course) legs, golden/bronze lids and gloriously glossed, healthy hair – that’s what Summers are made of. In my world at least. I recommend packing all of the products listed above into your Summer Fun Kit – but make sure you stock up on sunscreen (check expiration dates!) and stay hydrated!
1. XEN TAN DARK LOTION ABSOLUTE LUXE ($56, dermstore.com). Living in Hawaii, its almost unheard of to be pale. That doesn’t mean it needs to come from the ever present Hawaiian sun! I use Xen Tan self tanning products year round to keep my legs from looking pasty – perfectly golden with no stinky self tan smell thanks to Scent Secure. Plus tanned legs look thinner and I need all the help I can get. DRUGSTORE PICK: L’Oreal Sublime Bronze ProPerfect Salon Airbrush Self-Tanning Mist ($10.99, drugstore.com). Fast, reliable tan (jump in the shower – spray and buff!) plus no self tanner stinkies.
2. LAURA MERCIER CAVIAR STICK EYE COLOR IN SAND GLOW ($24, sephora.com). The last thing you want to be fussing with is melting eye makeup. Simplify and modernize the Summer eye with a sheer golden wash of color. The look is easy going, flatters all eye colors and skin tones plus it takes 2 seconds so you can get to the fun faster. DRUGSTORE PICK: Maybelline Eye Studio Color Tattoo in Bold Gold ($6.99, drugstore.com). Surprisingly easy to use, pigmented and crease-proof finish wears for up to 24 hours.
3. PUREOLOGY PRECIOUS OIL ($40, ulta.com). Deliciously scented, ultra-nourishing and completely versatile, this amazing blend has Oleo Anti-Fade Complex to protect your color and replenish the natural lipid barrier. The formula is silicone free – so using it requires a light hand and some creativity. This Summer – mix a pump into your leave in conditioner before hitting the beach to keep hair hydrated and smooth over skin for an instant (and yummy smelling) glow. DRUGSTORE PICK: L’Oreal Ever Sleek Precious Oil Treatment ($12.99, drugstore.com). Same incredible scent with the benefits of argan and olive oils.
SUMMER TIP: When you’re at the beach or pool – store your sunscreen and other products in an insulated lunch bag (no ice). Preventing your products from temperature fluctuation will keep them from separating and going bad faster than they should.